What Are A Line Dresses
What are a line dresses?
What are a line dresses ? An A line dresses is a dresses that is fitted at the hips and gradually widens towards the hem, giving the impression of the shape of a capital letter A. The term “A-line” is used to describe a dress, skirt, or coat with a triangular silhouette, narrow and fitted at the top and widening out from the bust or waist in a straight line to the hem. More specifically, it is understood to mean a structured garment which stands away from the body to form the sides of the A. The fronts of A-line garments are often cut in one piece, with darts for fitting, and the skirts often have no waistband.
Origin of the Term A-Line
The term first entered the vocabulary of fashion via the couturier Christian Dior’s collection for Spring 1955, which he named the “A-Line.” In the 1950s, the international fashion press looked to Paris, and Dior in particular, to set the direction fashion would take each season. Dior obliged by organizing each new collection around a specific idea, and giving each a name that described or evoked that idea. In 1954 and 1955, he designed three closely related collections, based on the shapes of the letters H, A, and Y, which marked a move away from the strongly emphasized, nipped-in waist that had been the dominant silhouette since his 1947 “Corolle Line” (or “New Look”) collection.
The most influential of these was the “A-Line” collection, characterized by narrow shoulders and a smooth, trumpetlike flare toward the hem; the elongated waistline, either high under the bust or dropped toward the hips, formed the crossbar of the A. The signature look of this collection (the “most wanted silhouette in Paris,” according to Vogue, 1 March 1995, p. 95) was a fingertip-length flared jacket worn over a dress with a very full, pleated skirt; while it was clearly an A-shape, this silhouette was quite different from what was later meant by “A-line.”
What do a line dresses look like?
You can check the a line dresses look in the follow picture:
When were a line dresses popular?
A-line clothes remained popular in the 1960s and 70s, disappeared from fashion almost completely by the early 1980s and were revived by the retro trend of the late 1990s. By that time, “A-line” was used more loosely to describe any dress wider at the hips than at the bust or waist, as well as a number of flared skirt styles. “True” A-line shapes on the pattern of Dior and Saint Laurent saw a revival in the early 2000s. Now the A line dresses is a common style like by everyone, it is a good choice when you are worried about what to buy.
Who can wear a line dresses?
A line dresses are fitted to your waist, and then flare out gradually to the hem. The magic in this shape is that it can minimize the midsection, hips, and thighs, and draw attention to the bust half at the same time (depending on the neckline). There’s a reason that most bridesmaid dresses are A-line: It is singular most flattering fit for every body type.\
The good news is that you actually WILL wear this style again and again, because it comes in way more varieties than just heavy pink satin! So when anybody ask you :”who can wear a line dresses”, you can answer :”everybody”.
Who do a line dresses look good on?
This dress steadily tapers out from the waist to the hem in strong, straight lines, revealing a silhouette like the edges of a capital letter A. This is a very forgiving silhouette and can work for all shapes, depending on the neckline. For instance, with a halter top, this is perfect for a triangle; however, with a wide set straps, it’s perfect for an inverted triangle.
Who do a line dresses look good on? Everybody.
Why are a-line skirts so great to wear?
Wearing an a-line skirt has many advantages:
- They hide bulges, so no need for shapewear! This makes them easy and comfortable to wear
- They accentuate your waist giving you a nice hourglass figure.
- They are very feminine.
- You can dress them up or down, depending on the fabric you choose and the tops you wear with them.
- You can combine them with a large variety of shoes. They look great with pumps and high sandals. This season it’s also very popular to wear them with tight fitting booties. For winter they look great with long boots as well.
- You can easily combine them with jackets and jumpers. Short cropped jackets will give your skirt a very modern look as well as the wide oversized jumpers that are popular now. Make sure that the jumpers are not too long, so we can still see a hint of your waist. Longer jackets can be belted to keep the nice hourglass silhouette.
How to wear a line dresses?
When you ask me how to wear a line dresses, I will reply you as follow:
- Choose your tops carefully. Selecting the wrong top can make your a-line skirt look frumpy. You cannot go wrong with short fitted tops or well-fitted blouses that are tucked. When wearing tops over your skirt, make sure that they are not too long or are belted. You can also surrender the waist line with wide jumpers or blouses, which is popular right now, but these are more challenging to wear. So check your mirror to see if you like the silhouette you are creating. You certainly don’t have to stick to the hourglass silhouette.
- Make sure you pick the right length for your height. This can make a huge difference. Many need to be careful that the skirt is not too long.
- Pay attention to shoes. They define how girly, modern or casual your look will be.
How to cut and make a line dresses?
There is a blog you can check how to cut and make a line dresses: Click here to check.
Where can i buy a line dresses?
The answer is everywhere. All the women apparel company sell this common style, you can check the style in our website.