Over Under Lacing MethodJames Guo
Over Under Lacing Method
Over under lacing method reduces friction, making the lacing easier to tighten and loosen plus reducing wear and tear. The laces alternate between crossing Over and Under.
• For even numbers of eyelet pairs, begin straight across on the outside(grey section) and in through the bottom eyelets.
• For odd numbers of eyelet pairs, begin straight across on the inside(grey section) and out through the bottom eyelets.
• At each eyelet pair, alternate between crossing over (on the outside) and in through the next higher set of eyelets or crossing under (on the inside) and out through the next higher set of eyelets. Repeat until lacing is completed.
How to Over Under Lacing
Over Under Instructions
- 1. With the toe facing you, slip your shoelace through the bottom eyelet pair. The shoelace should go over the facing to create a straight bar.
- 2. Take the left shoelace and thread it through the right eyelet and take the right shoelace and thread it through the left eyelet. It should lace behind the facing and remain unseen.
- 3. Take the left shoelace and lace it through the right eyelet and and take the right shoelace and lace it through the left eyelet. Lace it so that the lace goes from the outside of the facing towards the tongue. After this step, you should have formed your first ‘X’ shape.
- 4. Repeat steps two and three until you have one remaining set of eyelets.
- 4. Thread the shoelaces through the top set of eyelets below the facing.
Decorative look; Faster & easier; Less wear & tear
By alternating crossovers on the outside and on the inside, there are a couple of benefits:
• The laces don’t rub across the edges of the shoes, which reduces wear and tear on both the shoes and the shoelaces.
• Because of the reduced friction, you don’t really need to pull every single crossover when tightening. Instead, you can pull every second crossover, which is both faster and easier because those that run across on the outside are easier to get your fingers underneath.
Over Under Lacing Shoes
Shoelace Lengths for Over Under Lacing